Where can a trustee get help with trust administration?

Attorney Jill Rynkowski Doyle provides fiduciary advisory services to trustees in Washington, D.C. Please call (202) 617-4256 or use the online contact form to schedule a consultation or request additional information.

Do you need to personally handle all of the trust administration?

While there is a duty to administer the trust and a duty not to delegate the entire administration, you may delegate duties when it is prudent to do so.   For example, if you are not licensed to sell real estate, it may be prudent to hire a real estate broker to manage this aspect for you.  You may hire other professionals, like a CPA or attorney, when a reasonable person would deem it appropriate to do so.

You have been asked to serve as a trustee. What should you be thinking about?

Often trust creators (also referred to as grantor, trustor, or settlor) name a family member or close friend to serve as their trustee, successor trustee, or co-trustee.  While this designation may be an expression of their trust and faith in your abilities, the obligations are numerous and should not be taken lightly.  You must be prepared to understand your duties in detail, become knowledgeable about the trust and its purpose, and be willing to take an active involvement in the investment and administration of the trust and develop and maintain a relationship with the beneficiaries that is conducive to open communication.